Our laboratory facilities feature sophisticated research-level devices for conducting the specialised laboratory and model testing needed to characterise conventional and carbonate sediments.
- a fixed beam centrifuge: 40g-tonne capacity with 1.8m radius platform
- a drum centrifuge: 1.2m diameter and 500g capacity with precision-controlled turntable
- ring shear apparatus
- novel site investigation equipment
- dynamic pile testing instrumentation
- cyclic triaxial apparatus with bender elements
- cyclic simple shear apparatus
- optical and electron microscopes
- x-ray and high speed camera
- electronics laboratory
- large o-tube flume
- small o-tube flume
COFS houses the only centrifuge modelling facility in Australia. Only COFS and the University of Cambridge are home to both a fixed beam and a drum centrifuge.